By Mario Herrera and Christopher Sol Cruz
Big English is six-level primary course that engages students with fun, exciting topics and prepares them to become productive citizens of the world! The course is built on three educational pillars: Content and Language Integrated Learning (CLIL), Assessment for Learning (AfL) and 21st Century Skills.
Big English is perfect for programs looking for a well-balanced approach that includes ready-made CLIL lessons and a focus on the 21st Century skills development as well as for teachers who recognize the importance of ongoing assessment and who want to involve their students in the learning process.
Big English provides the very best of technology without the headaches, giving teachers the freedom and time to focus on what they do best, teach. Big English does all the preparation work, helping teachers get the most out of every lesson, every student.
Content and Language Integrated Learning (CLIL)
- Big English includes CLIL lessons that incorporate elements of the 4Cs: Content, Communication, Cognition and Culture.
- CLIL lessons are designed to build confidence, develop academic vocabulary and critical thinking skills, and broaden a learner’s perspective and sense of achievement.
In-built Assessment for Learning (AfL)
- Assessment for Learning (AfL) is embedded in the course, enabling teachers to review, challenge, reflect and modify goals, together.
- Assessment takes into consideration the whole learner, including learning styles, feelings and barriers to understanding. They also ensure that all students are aware of what they are doing and why they are doing it.
21st Century Skills
- 21st Century Skills, embedded throughout the course, help students develop essential skills for life, such as Critical Thinking, Collaboration, Communication, Creativity and Digital Literacy.
- Big English brings the world into the classroom with up-to-date content that is relevant to student’s lives.