Critical Thinking, Reading, and Writing
– Short Takes in Fiction engages students in reading, speaking, and writing English, using brief selections by 20th-century writers.
- Unabridged excerpts introduce students to authentic literature in manageable chunks.
- Structural, communicative, investigative, and creative activities.
- A glossary of idioms and new vocabulary.
- Authors include Rumer Godden, Amy Tan, Margaret Atwood, Somerset Maugham, William Saroyan, Raymond Carver, and Marjorie Kellogg.